Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

Today was Mother's Day.  My first Mother's day without my mom and missing my daughter.  Another odd mixture of sadness and happiness as I spent the weekend with my family--my silly family who brings me such joy.

During dinner tonight, Pat asked me what my favorite "mom memory" is.  Many memories flew through my head: meeting and holding each of my kids for the first time, watching the boys discover new things as they grow up, vacations, forts built, times together reading books, doing crafts, cooking together, dance parties in the kitchen, snuggles and kisses "just because", crazy questions and silly stories. This weekend alone, there was so much laughter and moments that filled me with joy and happiness because of my kids:

On Saturday, Pat and the boys surprised me and work me up with breakfast in bed.  They planned an elaborate breakfast and it was a cozy morning.

While driving to a friend's house for a birthday party I listened to the radio while they chattered in the backseat.  When "Eye of the Tiger" came on I looked in the mirror and saw them rocking and dancing like maniacs to it.  Who knew they were into '80's music??

When all the grandparents arrived for dinner, Gabe disappeared and returned moments later wearing his skunk costume.  He did somersaults around the kitchen while declaring himself "stinky!"

Zach telling jokes:
Z: I have a joke!  How do you fit an elephant into your refrigerator?
Us: How?
Z: No, say, 'I don't know'
Us: I don't know.
Z: hahahaha!  I don't know either!

Gabe sharing his favorite "mom memory":
G: I love you lots because I love you!
Z: I love you too!

And Pat and the boys picked out a tree for Sarah that will bloom with pink blossoms each spring.  I love that we are finding ways to keep her memory part of our daily lives.

On this day when I'm feeling sad and my arms are missing holding my baby and hugging my mom, I am also so, SO filled with happiness for the gifts God has given me in my family.  These small moments of silliness and sweetness are soothing and help me remember what matters most in life.  I'm grateful for the time I get with these sweet goofballs each day and for the nine sweet days I had with Sarah.  Someday we'll all get to be goofy together.




1 comment:

  1. Mom-hood. One of God's greatest gifts (I observe from afar!) Great post.

    ReplyDelete