Thursday, February 13, 2014

Finding grace in an unlikely place


In our house we've had our share of serious talks with the kids.  Especially over the past 18 months.  Today we had a grace conversation in the bathroom while oldest was getting ready for school.  

Hey buddy, you've been in here awhile...you ok?  

Yes, Mom.  I'm just brushing my teeth.  Can I have a hug?  Lots of hugs? 

Sure, what's up?  

Well, I've been doing lots of bad things and I just need forgiveness.

Buddy, we're just trying to teach you.  We love you.  And if we have forgotten to tell you, we do forgive you when you don't do what you're supposed to.  But guess what?  The Bible tells us that we are not good people who sometimes do bad things, does it?  

No, we are sinners.  What does that mean again?

It means that we think mostly of ourselves and want to be in charge and not let God be in charge.  And because we are sinners we can't do good without His grace, Him helping us.  And when we sin we can know that He forgives us too. Want to pray together?  

After we prayed, as we drove to school, we did a familiar morning routine, saying, "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! Rejoice!"  Followed by a regular line in our house: Remember today that Mommy and Daddy love you forever and ever, no matter what. And Jesus does too

These moments that I have shared with each of my three kids, telling them about Jesus, are the ones I tuck away in my heart and memory to treasure forever.  These are the moments that really matter.

1 comment: